Re: Fedora bittorrent tracker?

On 06/01/2009 02:39 PM, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
Hmm if this works out well, this might be a useful service for
contributors in a more general sense. Once you have the seedless
tracker in place, it will be interesting to see if other people make
requests to use it for other secondary content.

I've been thinking to myself, trying to do testing this round, that having nightly builds from rawhide of live cd's and such would be tremendously useful, but the traditional distribution method doesn't really support it. To digress, it's really hard to be a useful tester without running rawhide, and running rawhide can be really hard on typical users. But liveCD + liveusb-creator is pretty easy.

I've done a bit of preliminary reading of protocols and .torrent structure, and haven't seen anything that necessarily precludes a torrent that changes over time. Whether any trackers or clients support this I'm not sure. I'm writing this without having done any experimentation, but this thread seemed like a good opportunity to chime in, and maybe get some advice.

Should it prove to be possible, bittorrent may offer some unique advantages over traditional mirror methods. But that's thinking too far ahead.

Anyway, it seems a dozen or so folks with pipes thinking a project is a good idea (and thus willing to seed) is enough to bootstrap distribution. And having a coordinated central tracker is a great idea so users can know what's real and what's not. There might be some ideas to be learned from git too - I dunno, I'm mostly thinking out loud.

-Bill

http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Cell: 603.252.2606
Twitter, etc.: bill_mcgonigle   Page: 603.442.1833
Email, IM, VOIP: bill bfccomputing com
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/