Re: Maintainer Responsibilities

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Steve Grubb wrote:
I don't want to start a long thread, but just to ask a couple questions
for my own clarification. Does a maintainer's responsibilities end with
packaging bugs? IOW, if there is a problem in the package that is _broken
code_ do they need to do something about it or is it acceptable for them
to close the bug and say talk to upstream?

It's the reporter's job to report the bug upstream when asked to do so.

I disagree. Reporters are "users" - "customers" if you like to.

You can't expect them to do anything, nor demand them to do anything, nor force them to do anything.

That said, I consider it to be a Fedora package's maintainer's job and duty to act as moderator/arbiter/coordinator to initiate appropriate communication/interaction between all different parties (reporter, packager, upstreams) "when necessary/if required".

Ralf