Announcing Fedora Activity Day - Fedora Development Cycle 2009

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Jun 3 16:40:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 08:55 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> If the FAD identifies some tangibles (hardware, etc.) that would help
> alleviate some of the time problems, I can tell you that Spot and I
> will do our best to procure them.  From what I've heard others
> describe up until now, it doesn't seem like there's one clear
> roadblock in that regard -- just a huge mountain of tasks that our
> current systems have to chug through for composing, and no matter how
> you slice it, it takes a lot of time and I/O bandwidth.

Well upgrading all the buildsystem and storage system to 10gigE, and
replacing the 10TB or so filer with something that has fantastically
fast disks would certainly reduce the amount of I/O wait time, but
that's going to cost a /lot/ of money.  We are still trying to find
where our bottlenecks are.  We had a pretty good handle on things prior
to delta rpms, but now we've gone from 3~ hour null composes (no changed
packages) to nearly 9 hour null composes.  There is obviously some
optimization to be had here.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!