Maintainer Responsibilities

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jun 4 16:27:42 UTC 2009

Mary Ellen Foster wrote:
> 2009/6/4 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>:
>> Michal Hlavinka wrote:
>>> Yes, but how will you notice reporter needs (your) help if bug is closed
>>> upstream?
>> By CCing ourselves on the upstream bug when we close ours.
>>
>>        Kevin Kofler
>
> Speaking as a semi-frequent reporter of Fedora KDE bugs, I can say
> that the process works pretty well for me. Of course, I'm probably
> somewhat more engaged in the process than average (e.g., I maintain a
> few packages myself, and I've had an account at bugs.kde.org for
> years). I do occasionally wish that I didn't have to do the upstream
> report myself, but I can see the reasons for it.

I'll happily raise upstream bugs myself but it irks me when maintainers
close Fedora bugs with the UPSTREAM resolution without actually taking
the upstream fix and bringing it into Fedora.

If I've reported a bug in Fedora bugzilla it's because the bug is
present in Fedora and I'd like to see it fixed *in Fedora*. So seeing a
bug closed UPSTREAM doesn't help at all if I have a real problem with a
Fedora package.

Paul.