Maintainer Responsibilities

Darryl L. Pierce dpierce at redhat.com
Thu Jun 4 19:44:39 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 08:45:21PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> I think it is simple BAD to close bugreports with "upstream"!

+1 That's one step away from just ignoring the user.

> So i think the maintainer should play as "relay", taking fedora-bugreports
> and in many cases report them with much more knowing about the software
> upstream.

This is what I posted yesterday. The package maintainer should act as
the face for their package(s) to the user. If the maintainer is not the
upstream, then part of their job as maintainer should be to relay those
bugs to the upstream, opening the bugs there, and then ensuring any
patches or updates are moved into Fedora as soon as they're available.

Virtual Machine Management - http://www.ovirt.org/
Is fearr Gaeilge bhriste ná Béarla cliste.