Re: Action requested: check dist tags and conditionals

On Thursday 04 June 2009 05:01:49 pm Peter Robinson wrote:
> >> Can someone suggest how I should do this? I'm not sure who put this in
> >> my spec file!
> >>
> >> # for eggs
> >> %if 0%{?fedora} >= 8
> >> BuildRequires:  python-setuptools-devel
> >> %else
> >> BuildRequires:  python-setuptools
> >> %endif
> >>
> >> Is it safe to drop the conditional now and always expect
> >> python-setup-devel to be there?
> >
> > If you're not building for EPEL 4/5, yes.
>
> Do EPEL pick up the fedora >= 8 conditional?
>
> Peter
epel defines a %{rhel} macro  to 4 or 5   when rhel6 comes whenever that is
hopefully it will have defined in redhat-release the macros defineing %{rhel} =
6

probably a better way to do the above example is

%if 0%{?fedora} <= 8 || 0%{?rhel} <= 5
BuildRequires:  python-setuptools
%else
BuildRequires:  python-setuptools-devel
%endif

that way if the macros are not defined the newer package is required not the
older way.

Dennis