Re: Interested in scanning?

On 06/05/2009 01:23 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:

I think a good start would be making a list of problems seen in setting
up scanners (additional packages required, tweaks), and make sure that
gnome-scan and the necessary plugins are installed in a default
installation.

My experience with scanning in Fedora is so awful that I dropped any expectation: I have an old HP ScanJet 5370C, for which according with sane-project.org the support is "Good" (avision backend). For me the best was around F9, when it worked 50% of the time: a scan operation produced garbage, the next one was usable, the next one garbage and so on. I always had to scan twice to get something acceptable.

F8 and earlier it produced garbage most of the time and in F10 the application just got frozen, doing nothing and I had to kill it.

Now F11 is a new low: when pressing the scan or preview buttons from either xsane-gimp or gnomescan the result is X crashing and me seeing the GDM screen.