Re: Static system level uid/gid's reservations in Fedora/RHEL - how to handle situation?

Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On 04/28/2009 03:04 AM, Ondřej Vašík wrote:
> > What's the best way to handle that situation? One possibility is to
> > increase the threshold of system level id's (to 200? 300?)
>
> I guess I've been blissfully ignorant and always assumed that id's under
> 500 were reserved for system use since Redhat systems have always
> created the first user uid as 500.  Other admins I've worked with have
> been similarly misinformed, so you might get lucky here.

id's under id 500 are system id's and first user id is 500. That's
correct - those defaults are coming from /etc/login.defs. However - id's
under 100 are handled differently in some cases (e.g. default umask
in /etc/bashrc and /etc/cshrc). And those id's are assigned statically
and reserved by uidgid file coming from setup package. Increasing
threshold in setup could cause some conflicts, but it's probably easiest
way.

Greetings,
         Ondřej Vašík