File Triggers (was Re: Proposal (and yes, I'm willing to do stuff!): Must Use More Macros)

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Jun 8 18:14:06 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 6:01 AM, Panu Matilainen<pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> wrote:

> The hardest part is getting the design right the first time, there's no
> changing an "api" that is exposed to packages.

It's definitely better to get things "right" the first time, but one
thing missing from the system now is any kind of "versioning" on the
macro API.  It would seem fairly straightforward to have a global
"SpecVersion: 2" type header that pulls in an updated set of macros
from a different directory.

If such a thing were to be implemented it'd probably be good to use it
to clean out the wishlist in general, like handling %clean and even
%build automatically (e.g. if we see a configure script, just assume
to call "%{configure}", see a Makefile, just assume to call "make",
etc)