Re: File Triggers (was Re: Proposal (and yes, I'm willing to do stuff!): Must Use More Macros)

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Kevin Kofler<kevin kofler chello at> wrote:
> Colin Walters wrote:
>> If such a thing were to be implemented it'd probably be good to use it
>> to clean out the wishlist in general, like handling %clean and even
>> %build automatically (e.g. if we see a configure script, just assume
>> to call "%{configure}", see a Makefile, just assume to call "make",
>> etc)
>
> Uh, that will never work. Many configure scripts need options, even
> makefiles can require options.

There are always exceptions.  That doesn't mean one can't optimize for
the common case (and not just common, but what we want to push people
to do, which is consolidate build tools).

> The makefile could also be autogenerated from an unknown build tool

Makefiles generated by e.g. automake have easily detectable patterns.
Try "head Makefile".