USB autosuspend in F12

Matthew Garrett mjg at redhat.com
Tue Jun 9 22:33:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 01:18:31PM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> As you move forward with this across the devicescape, how are you
> going to selectively enable devices to apply autosuspend to? Is this
> done by a whitelisting of specific device ids? Or is this going to be
> done based on a detected set of capabilities and then pruning that
> back with a blacklist?

A mixture. Some devices will be explicitly whitelisted, while in other
cases we'll be enabling all devices in a class (generally as determined
by the kernel driver they use) and possibly blacklisting some of them.

> I've got some exotic homebrew usb equipment that I'm going to have to
> troubleshoot on my own, so it would be useful to know how you are
> going to slice the device space so I can figure out which devices
> should and should not be affected..eventually.

It's unlikely that any of them will be covered by this. For now I'll be
concentrating on fairly common hardware in order to get the maximum
benefit at minimum effort. We'll worry about more obscure devices at
some later point.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org