GRUB 2 in Ubuntu 9.10

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Wed Jun 10 14:50:25 UTC 2009

On 06/10/2009 10:43 AM, Christopher Brown wrote:
> 2009/6/10 King InuYasha<ngompa13 at gmail.com>:
>
>> I would like to see GRUB Legacy replaced in Fedora 12 with GRUB 2,
>> especially with a couple odd systems here that don't seem to like GRUB
>> Legacy all that much....
>
> Actually the reverse is true, in that you will find that GRUB 2 will
> support fewer machines than GRUB Legacy. This is why, as the ubuntu
> page quite correctly states, "upgrading a bootloader is at best
> frightening and risky".

So what is the deal with GRUB development? I find it strange that upstream
already has declared the old GRUB "Legacy" even though GRUB 2 isn't ready
for prime time yet. Has the patch for full ext4 support that has been
mentioned before landed in upstream yet? What is the timetable to get GRUB
2 ready for primetime?

Regards,
   Dennis