Too eager?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 14:40:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 09:08:00 -0500, Jon wrote:

> >> 1. yum upgrade --enablerepo=updates-testing
> >>
> >> 2. yumdownloader --repoid=updates-testing yum
> >>    cat <<EOL | yum shell
> >> upgrade
> >> install yum-3.2.23-3.fc11.noarch.rpm
> >> run
> >> EOL
> >>
> >>  #1 means you'll get all the other updates from updates-testing, #2 is
> >> more typing.
> >>

> > In #2 one also needs --enablerepo=updates-testing instead of --repoid=...
> > and one must be very careful with typos. If Yum cannot find the
> > packages given to it via "install", it fails badly with an interrupted
> > transaction and (in case of F10 => F11) an unreadible RPM DB that
> > needs manual repair.
> >

> Thanks for the suggestions.  However the first fails as before, and the
> second fails due to libvte being broken, which I understand is being fixed.

For #2 you need to _disable_ updates-testing, that's why you enable
it only for yumdownloader. Due to the vte breakage you cannot enable
it permanently for the upgrade, but you also need the newer ntp* packages
from updates-testing. The release of F11 could have been much smoother
for those who upgrade via Yum. Violated upgrade paths are bad.