Re: Orphaning Packages: audacious and dependencies

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt gmail com> wrote:
On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 12:09:24 -0300, Paulo wrote:

> I would create a symbolic link audacious -> audacious2, so the previous
> bin can still be called.

AFAIK, this is not done in Debian/Ubuntu either. The .desktop file has
been renamed, too, and additionally the Fedora "--vendor fedora" has had
to be dropped (or else one would need to keep such patches, which deviate
from upstream, forever). The manual pages have been renamed to "audtool2"
and "audacious2".

> I would also call the libs package libs2, so the previous lib package do not
> need to be removed during the upgrade.

That would create an orphan, an obsolete audacious-libs package which
is not tied to any current src.rpm package, and which could cause
problems in the future (such as unresolvable deps).
http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/audacious-plugins-2.0.1-0.3.fc10.src.rpm (updated)

In fact, I have one:

http://atrpms.net/name/mp3splt-gtk/

However, it can always be rebuilt with the new lib, which will increase the soname
version. Furthermore, the source is still referencing audacious (not audacious2),
and will have to be patched.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ