Re: [Phoronix] Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Fedora 11 Performance

On 06/11/2009 02:17 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:

True, though over and over again I see things where I wish they'd at
least dig into the discrepancies they find, rather than just reporting
numbers.

Seconded, I mean, wtf is this?

"with the test profiles that stress the system disk, Fedora 11 generally did much better -- in part due to the EXT4 file-system and newer Linux kernel."

How much of it was the new kernel, and how much was the filesystem? It's just total speculation. It wouldn't be that hard to run some oprofile while running these tests.

It almost makes me want to start a "keep phoronix honest" blog, we could start with that one bug you opened against their ext4 test (I presume the inaccurate benchmark is still up)

-Eric

--
James M. Leddy