What I HATE about F11

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jun 14 15:10:14 UTC 2009

>> We have the "wheel" group which would fit the bill.
>
> Yeah, I always uncomment the %wheel line in sudoers and then add
> myself to that group.
>
> Hmmm, having looked at the Features guidelines I'm not sure if this
> warrants a feature page or not. It would only involve a change to the
> default sudoers file, and a change to firstboot to add the first user
> to the wheel group.
>
> Can someone from FESCo help out here? Should I make a feature page for
> this or not?

Look at it the other way.

The way it is done right now, you have a system that might give too
few permissions to some users. If that causes a problem, you'll notice
it, and you can correct it in a very simple way (uncomment one line
and add a user to a group).

However, if we change the default, you have a system that may be
giving too much permissions to some users depending on your taste. And
the worse part is that you (as an admin) might not even know it !

IMHO, stricter by default in such a case is better. It's easier to add
permissions, open holes when you need them, rather than having to
chase some opened-by-default holes you don't even know about.