Do we need split media CDs for F12?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 13:24:13 UTC 2009

On Sunday, June 14 2009, Chris Adams said:
> Once upon a time, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> said:
> > See the livecd-iso-to-pxeboot script, although it does place some
> > (somewhat) different requirements on things.
>
> AFAIK livecd-iso-to-pxeboot is useless for 32 bit, at least for the
> standard Fedora LiveCD images.  I think the kernel will only use an
> initrd that is less than half the size of lowmem, or 448M.

To be honest, I'm not sure.  I've never actually used the script -- it
was written by some of the guys working on the project now known as
ovirt and they use it pretty heavily

> It would be useful to be able to export the root FS from a LiveCD via
> NFS, or maybe have an alternate initrd for PXE booting that could NFS
> mount the ISO image (and then the LiveCD root), or fetch the ISO into
> RAM via HTTP, or something along those lines.

With the way we build the initrd today, there's no way[1] to do so.
But as I said in my previous mail, with dracut maybe we can start to
look at other interesting things like this

Jeremy

[1] Well, there's a way... but not anything sustainable.  Having
multiple completely separate initrd paths is all kinds of pain