Re: Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
Bill Nottingham <notting redhat com> writes:

What CPUs do we lose that F11 supports?

- Intel i586 (all)
- Intel Pentium Pro
- Intel Pentium II
- Intel Pentium III
- 32-bit AMD Athlon
- AMD Geode
- VIA C3
- Transmeta Crusoe

Oh I didn't know my old `2001 PIII 128 MB laptop is that old.
Works fine with F11 BTW.

A seconday arch could be done for these older CPUs, if someone is interested
enough.

I wonder if a switch like that makes a difference for owners of "newer"
CPUs. Aren't they/we already using x86-64, leaving i386 for old
hardware and netbooks?

BTW are those new VIA netbooks SSE2-capable?
Also, I was wondering, myself aside, are the newer processors as prevalent all geographic locations? I.e., if we do drop older processors, are we not essentially telling a large segment of our users and potential users o look elsewhere? I'd rather not concede entire countries to That Brown Distro.

--
in your fear, speak only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie