Re: Do we need split media CDs for F12?

On Jun 15, 2009, at 5:49 PM, Matt Domsch wrote:
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 10:30:49AM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
On Sun, 2009-06-14 at 21:31 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
Also, I want to look a bit more at isohybrid to see if we can build iso
images that can just be dd'd, at least for the case of
boot.iso/netinst.iso

Can you tell me more about isohybrid, or link to a project page? Google
wasn't exactly helpful.

It's a new feature of syslinux which modifies a mkisofs-generated
bootable ISO (which uses isolinux), such that it also adds a syslinux
boot record. The resulting .iso file can be burned to a CD and booted,
or written straight to a USB key (dd if=...) and booted.

The trick is that it uses some of the same metadata space that we use for our CD checksums. Hence, need to spend a little bit of time to see if either a) we can get both to work or b) figure out a different way to handle the checksums

Jeremy