Re: Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Richard W.M. Jones (rjones redhat com) said:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 08:01:09PM +0100, Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> > Bill Nottingham wrote:
> >
> > > - Faster and more consistent FP math by using SSE2 registers
> > > - Allows for autovectorization by GCC where necessary
> > > - More clearly delineates our support set of targets, sticking true
> > >   to forwards innovation, not necessarily legacy support
> >
> > Why not leave it be and suggest people move to the less brain dead x86-64
> > instead? Innovation and legacy support.
> >
> > The slower x86 is, the more motivation there is to move to x86-64.
>
> +1 ...

Well, then... let's build 32-bit x86 with -O0. Or add a few sleep()s
strategically in glibc. That'll teach them.

Seriously, if there is a huge non-SSE2 (or, heck, non-SSE - that brings
back in Athlon-XP/MP and P3) userbase, that I can understand. But saying
'let's not try and make it better when we can do so with trivial effort - let's
leave it slow/make it slower'... that's just silly.

Bill