Re: Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

On 06/15/2009 02:36 PM, Dave Jones wrote:

  >  What CPUs do we lose that F11 supports?
  >
  >  - Intel i586 (all)

judging by the number of 586 users who register with smolt (less than 0.1%
our entire userbase), not that big a deal.

I don't think smolt accurately tells the picture here. Most older hardware in use wouldn't be a traditional install where you might have a chance of using smolt, but rather something special purpose, like thin clients.

That being said, I'm in favor i686 + SSE2. We however need to take the i586 secondary arch seriously. With i586 being a priority, this might help to improve processes in general for the other secondary archs? I dunno.

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com