Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Tue Jun 16 07:58:37 UTC 2009

On 16/06/09 13:26, Matt Domsch wrote:
> My little old Latitude C400 works great as a relatively low power
> firewall/router/printserver/torrent seed/bastion host.

As does my older machine (see below).

My question would be -- what is the purpose of Fedora? If part of that
purpose is to give people the opportunity to try Linux (and hopefully
like it, and use in production, and buy product and support) then the
operating system you hope they will try out needs to run on old hardware
which is no longer vital to a person's work.

For that reason excluding Pentium III machines is a step too far.

x86 is legacy -- it's all about allowing people to run Fedora on non-
shipping hardware. The only significant shipping chip which is still
x86 is Atom. And it will be x86_64 before too long.  You run the
risk of optimising Fedora to suit Atom, then having the rationale
for that optimisation disappear.

Best wishes, Glen

System Information
        Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation