Re: Headsup: ABI changing ImageMagick coming to rawhide

On 06/15/2009 10:04 PM, Joe Orton wrote:
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 03:21:40PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
I've just build ImageMagick 6.5.3.7 for rawhide. This version
introduces *silent* ABI breakage, as the ABI has changed without
changing the soname (woohoo way to go upstream!)

Can you not patch in a SONAME change in that case?  There is precedent
for doing this where upstream doesn't bump SONAMEs appropriately -
openssl, and I think it's the right thing to do (where educating
upstream fails, obviously).

I could have, but I choose not to as having every distro invent its own
soname is not really helpful as some people still distribute binaries
from time to time, I admit that chances are small such a binary will
use ImageMagick libs but still.

Also the ABI breakage only hits a few not often used functions.

Regards,

Hans