Re: Do we need split media CDs for F12?

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin kofler chello at> wrote:
Seth Vidal wrote:
> 1. we're going to need split media for dvds - we're SOL there anyway - so
> the code will need to live on.

Just kick out all the i18n stuff and you won't.

It doesn't make sense to force people to download the translations for all
the languages spoken anywhere on the planet. People normally need one or at
most a handful of langpacks. It's best to add that post install, that way
one only has to download the actually needed langpack(s) and not all of
them.

As for "Everything" DVD sets, that's also something Fedora doesn't produce,
so it should also be FedoraUnity's problem.

       Kevin Kofler

Even if it is Fedora Unity's problem, Fedora Project would still have to maintain the anaconda code that allows split media installation.

Ubuntu seems to do fine including quite a few language packs on their LiveCD while providing a decent desktop. Unless a flat-file dpkg database makes a huge difference to the BerkleyDB rpmdb in terms of size, there isn't any reason that Fedora cannot make available a desktop just as functional as the Ubuntu one (like having OpenOffice included).