Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

梁穗隆 liangsuilong at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 16:24:35 UTC 2009

I hear that Fedora administrator will change the default 32-bit x86 arch for
Fedora 12. The default arch is i686+SSE2.

In my opinion, I do not want to change it. Or only change to i686. SSE2 is
not necessary.

Why do I think that? Because I live in China, and I have many friends who is
using Fedora. But they use their old computer to install Fedora. They are
extreme Fedora fans. But their CPU does not support  SSE2, for example
Athlon XP 2500+(Barton Core) , Tualatin Pentium 3 at more than 1.2GHz,  Some
guys are using Dual Athlon or Pentium 3. With 1GB RAM, I think their
computer have enough performance to run Fedora 12. But If Fedora give up
SSE-only CPU support, they will get away from Fedora and change to other
Linux ditrubution. As I see, It is quite bad for Fedora project and Fedora
will lost a lot of users in developing countries.

So I suggest that Fedora 12 change 32-bit x86 arch to i686+SSE, not
i686+SSE2.

--
<url>http://liangsuilong.co.cc</url>
Fight for freedom!!!!(3F)