Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Jun 16 18:56:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 22:56 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 06:01:14PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Because that's significantly less of our userbase. I'd love to have
> > harder numbers, but we're still talking about a set of CPUs that
> > (outside of corner cases like the Geode and C3) ceased production
> > anywhere from 4 (Athlon) to 6 (P3) to 10 (P2) years ago.
>
> production, but not support.  People buying these did expect software
> to exist and run on them for more than 4+ years.
>
> My little old Latitude C400 works great as a relatively low power
> firewall/router/printserver/torrent seed/bastion host.

I've got one of those too, and it's certainly not usable enough for
*desktop* work.  Just a data point.  Firefox makes it cry.  Whether
that's due to small caches, lack of memory (mine has 512MB), or the i830
video driver still having major acceleration issues, I don't know.

Can't say anything about it's usage as a headless machine though.

Dan