Re: Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

> drago01 (drago01 gmail com) said:
> > > Way back when in February [1], FESCo decided that for Fedora 11, i586 would
> > > be the default architecture, and for Fedora 12, it would be some variant of
> > > i686. It's time to follow through on that action item.
> >
> > Moving to i686 is fine, non i686 chips are mostly dead (but the
> > perfomance gain from moving to i686 from i586 is questionable at
> > best).
> ... how so? It's consistently 1-2% in reasonable benchmarks (real-world
> code, albeit cpu-specific).

Dan of Dan's Data has a rule of thumb I've always found sensible, which
is that any performance increase less than 5% is not worth putting
yourself to any kind of trouble for.

Has anyone benchmarked i686+SSE2 vs. i686 yet? It would seem a
prerequisite for such a controversial proposal. And in general-purpose
apps, not stuff that's known to benefit from it like media encoding
(which we have ways to handle without stuffing up the entire distro for
slightly old hardware).

Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey