Re: Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

On 15/06/09 10:53 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Way back when in February [1], FESCo decided that for Fedora 11, i586 would
> be the default architecture, and for Fedora 12, it would be some variant of
> i686. It's time to follow through on that action item.
> I've submitted https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F12X86Support. It
> defines the default arch as i686 + SSE2.
> Why?
> - Faster and more consistent FP math by using SSE2 registers
> - Allows for autovectorization by GCC where necessary
> - More clearly delineates our support set of targets, sticking true
>   to forwards innovation, not necessarily legacy support
> What CPUs do we lose that F11 supports?
> - Intel i586 (all)
> - Intel Pentium Pro
> - Intel Pentium II
> - Intel Pentium III
> - 32-bit AMD Athlon
> - AMD Geode
> - VIA C3
> - Transmeta Crusoe

I really don't like that idea that only fuels more Fedora detractors
and also feel like a wrong path. AMD Geode is the worst choice by
faras pointed out by some posters due to XO 1.0 ( I have one). Are we
going to abandon million of Fedora users that use those chipsets?
Think about people who live in developing countries no having x86_64.

Until those chipsets are fully supported as secondary arch and fully
operator without major hiccup, I will say no.

- --
Luya Tshimbalanga
Graphic & Web Designer
E:  luya fedoraproject org