Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 15:41:17 UTC 2009

>> Removing support for still-functional hardware is a trademark of
>> Microsoft, not Linux.
>>
>> I'd also argue that doing another full rebuild of the OS for a 1%
>> performance gain on a single architecture is not a particularly
>> production use of resources.
>
> The 1% comes from i586 -> i686; SSE2 would be additional on top of
> that. But given the vehement opposition, I can see dropping the SSE2
> requirement. I'm still fairly convinced that going to i686 is the right
> move - we really don't support i586 as a practical matter, and even
> the Geode should still work with that. Furthermore, it's likely we'll
> have a mass rebuild for LZMA support and/or debuginfo changes, so it's
> no additional cost.

When I ran Fedora 10 on my Fit-PC I would run a i686 kernel openssl
without issue but yum wouldn't see it as an update because the arch
didn't match so I'd have to manually download it and install it with
'rpm -i --ignorearch kernel' so I presume there would have to be
changes to at least rpm to override the fact that its i586 + cmov as
opposed to officially being i686.

Peter