Re: Changing the default 32-bit x86 arch for Fedora 12 (#2)

On 06/17/2009 11:10 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
- We are likely doing a mass rebuild for F-12 anyways, might as well switch
   while we're doing it
That's a pretty poor justification.

The common complaint leveled about doing it was "why go to the extra effort".
If we're doing a mass rebuild, it's essentailly zero extra effort.

"extra effort" referred to a secondary arch probably more so than mass rebuild.

- Atom is the only currently produced 32-bit x86 chip of note; optimize
   for what's currently available
There are also lots of other chips that people run 32 bit x86 code on.
I don't think Atom is a majority percentage of 32 bix x86 Fedora users
either.

See the Fedora Foundations [1] and Objectives [2] page. If we're truly
about being on the leading edge, being innovative, etc., the main target
of Fedora should be current hardware, even if older hardware is still
supported. The only *current* 32-bit x86 hardware is Atom. (And Nano, I
suppose.)

Nano is 64bit with virt.

BTW, anyone tested these yet with Fedora?

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com