Why do we need FC version attached to the package name?

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Sun Jun 21 22:56:07 UTC 2009

On 06/21/2009 09:14 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> Yes, and let me add that the ".fc10" and ".fc11" (the dist-tag) is part
> of the package "Release" value not just the package file name.
> That makes the .fc11 package "newer than" the .fc10 package
> in RPM's view, which is particularly important if internally

I *wish* it made a difference. I did an upgrade am an left with a host
of fc10 packages because the fc11 ones weren't considered newer.

For example people with updates-testing enabled on fc10 got a
non-upgraded yum because the versions were the same (except for
fc10/fc11) and it stopped working because python went from 2.5 to
2.6.... So to RPM the fc10/fc11 isn't being compared, at least not that
I can see...

> it really differs from the .fc10 build (e.g. in terms of compiler
> generated code, library versions, dependencies).

It would definitely help if it did though...

--
Nathanael d. Noblet
T: 403.875.4613