Re: rpm AutoRequires/AutoProvides and dsos not in linker path, do we care ?

Adam Jackson wrote:
On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 10:06 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 02:57:53PM +0100, Caolán McNamara wrote:
b.2) extend the autorequires/autoprovides in some (handwaves) way to
better indicate the desired match
I like this idea better. AutoReq/Prov should only search system-wide deafult search paths for .so's, perl modules, and any other such objects that it supports.

"system-wide" includes paths mentioned in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*, which are
files provided by other packages.  Suddenly your search scope is
unbounded again.

Thought: Define "system library directories" to a sane default set. Start with this.

For each package, when doing autoprovides calculation, recurse down the tree of rpms needed by this package. For any that change /etc/ld.so.conf.d, add the appropriate directory to the set of "system library directories". Now see if the rpm installs any libraries into those locations. If so, those are autoprovides.

Sound sane?

XFS is not something I look into the innards of, as I don't have enough chickens to sacrifice. -- Alan Cox