Re: update mechanism for new releases

Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> >> Lot's of people will tell you that it works fine. However, this is not
> >> a supported path for upgrade. Users should use Pre-Upgrade instead.
> >
> > Well its not supported completely, the simple fact that a lot of
> > people use it means that its supported within certain constraints.
>
> I think you confuse "supported" and "functional". Upgrade via yum is
> mostly /functional/. It is "(officially) supported" exactly to the
> extent that you get to keep the pieces. If you are lucky, people /might/
> help you put them back together :-).

What does "supported" mean in this context anyway? Isn't Fedora
community-supported? So if someone from the community helps you when you have
problems with a Yum upgrade, then Yum upgrades are supported, right?

If I upgrade from the DVD, or by Preupgrade, and it breaks, who should I send
the pieces to?

Björn Persson