Re: Why do we need FC version attached to the package name?

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, Simon Andrews wrote:

Not really. Things like KDE config files processed by kconf_update, Firefox
profiles, Amarok databases etc. will have been converted to the format
expected by the new version, downgrading is not supported by upstream and
the old version may thus not work or lose some settings.

Surely these aren't the kind of updates which should be applied within a release cycle anyway? A new release is the time you'd expect to get a major revision of this sort.

No. Not always and that sort of thing is up to the maintainer.

2) At home I have a cap on how much I can download except for an unlimited window overnight (midnight - 6am I think). Do I now have to wait up to upgrade my machines rather than doing the initial upgrade from media and then picking up updates automatically the next night?

Well you should definitely install yum-presto so you can save a lot of bandwidth.

-sv