Re: (A)synchronous file operations & xdg-open

On Thursday 25 June 2009, Jerry James wrote:
> It appears to me that we either need to split xdg-open into two tools,
> representing the two modes of operation, or else give xdg-open a
> command-line switch to demand synchronous operation.

IMO the latter is clearly preferable, and would be even a good default.  But
then again, it might be too late to change the default as it could break stuff
(even if the xdg-open man page doesn't document async/sync operation at the
moment).  And I'm not sure if the tools xdg-open invokes have async/sync
operation modes - at least some of them would quite probably need
modifications as well.