Re: update mechanism for new releases

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Martin Langhoff wrote:

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Mathieu Bridon
(bochecha)<bochecha fedoraproject org> wrote:
RPM has seen a lot of improvements in speed and memory consumption

Are there any improvements on recovery of unexpectedly failed
transactions, such as OOM, kernel oops or hard power-off?

Other than thinking about it, and trying hard to get memory usage during transaction to bare minimum to avoid the OOM's in the first place, no.

According to valgrind/massif, rpm 4.7.x heap consumption during the transaction execution is mere megabytes (+ size of a single header at a time) even for largish transactions. We throw away pretty much everything that can be reconstructed at the time of actual package install stage when the full header is (re)loaded, whereas older versions kept the entire file info sets (by far the biggest memory consumer) of all packages loaded throughout the transaction. There's still work left in the memory use area though: now with the heap consumption down we need to figure out what's keeping RSS much higher than it should optimally be and what can be done about it to see the full benefit of the internal memory savings.

Restarting an interrupted transaction is an interesting (and hard) problem. There's quite a pile of state that needs recording to persistent store and teaching various parts of the transaction machinery to use that, and questions like what to do if we can't get the same exact packages at replay time, short of having rpm make hardlinks (or copies if hardlink is not possible) - rpm itself knows nothing about where a package came from, packages can vanish from repositories etc...

	- Panu -