Re: yum 3.2.23 more than 10x slower than 3.2.21?!

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009, Roberto Ragusa wrote:

It is really CPU intensive. I see some unicode related stuff in the changelog
and my memory goes to years ago (RedHat 8?) when the UTF8 enabled grep
got a similar slowdown (the lib was then improved after that).

Hmmmmm, made other experiments....
Really weird.

#time yum list updates --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=ROB10\*
(less than 3 seconds)

#time yum list updates --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=updates
(less than 3 seconds)

#time yum list updates --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=ROB10\*  --enablerepo=updates
(more than one minute)

ROB10\* is some local repositories, containing mirrored stuff from some
repositories, _including fedora_updates_, so the same rpms are found in two
different repositories. How can this trigger such a slowdown, I don't know.

I have to correct what I said before, the time is not always spent
on read64() and gettimeofday(); there is a lot of strace-silent activity
(just spurious brk() calls).

Maybe something like hashing of some data structure is taking a really bad
direction?

run:

time yum -d 3 --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=ROB10\*  \
           --enablerepo=updates  list updates | grep 'time:'

and post that output.

thanks,
-sv