FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Jun 28 13:21:17 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> The difference between features like a desktop globe and things like
> NetworkManager is obvious.

I know NM is important, and in fact that's why we have been shipping the
mature NM-gnome in KDE spins so far, and it does work fine in KDE. And
chances are good for the native NM plasmoid to be ready to be the default
for F12. It's already available as an option.

> I am talking about core desktop infrastructure.

"Core desktop infrastructure" like flickerfree boot which is <SARCASM>surely
worlds more useful and important to people</SARCASM> than a desktop globe
with OpenStreetMap integration providing Free as in Speech street-level
maps and place search, among other nice features?

I use Marble a lot. Whereas doing away with a flicker at boot time is not
going to radically change my life.

What are you using if not Marble? Dead-tree maps? Some proprietary web
service? (Are you aware of the strict copyright and even usage restrictions
on those proprietary map services?) Sure you can use the openstreetmap.org
website, but a desktop app like Marble is a nicer user interface, and it
also has other features than just being a client for OSM.

> Moreover all the features I mention were driven within Fedora.

And how is this relevant to the user? The user cares about what features
they're getting, not who has written the code for them.

> KDE does lack integration with them.

That word doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

        Kevin Kofler