Re: FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Kevin Kofler<kevin kofler chello at> wrote:

> This x86_64 issue is also a nasty side effect of your design policy: why are
> we defaulting to reduced performance for the vast majority of new hardware
> (basically only netbooks and a handful pretty specialized devices use
> 32-bit-only CPUs these days!) just in the name of avoiding a choice and
> potential frustration of clueless users who don't know they need the 32-bit
> version? That's yet another bad tradeoff in the name of usability. I know
> several people who have accidentally downloaded the 32-bit version when
> they actually wanted x86_64 because the 64-bit version is hidden the way it
> is. It's hard to find even for clueful users!

Definitely. You know who I think really gets it right?
http://software.opensuse.org/

It completely and absolutely leaves Fedora download page for dead.

As for DE's -- I think we can all agree XFCE/GNOME/KDE are all pretty
solid. So the major selling point of each, is simply what they look
like.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Screenshot_Tour

So why not have something like
Fedora_11_(KDE|GNOME|XFCE)_Screenshot_Tour and links to them? And a
one line selling each: "GNOME aims for simplicity and elegance" "KDE
aims for control and configurability" "XFCE aims to be fast and
light".  (And default to GNOME to represent Fedora's position)