KSplice in Fedora?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue Jun 30 03:58:05 UTC 2009

On 06/29/2009 10:49 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> It can only handle small patches which don't change
> any data structures. So the official Fedora kernel updates will never be
> suitable to be distributed through KSplice.

And to date there hasn't really been any compelling reason to issue tiny
patch security-updated kernels, 'cause you have to reboot anyway, right?
 But as the technology improves, more opportunities arise.

I recall deploying some sort of hack workaround for the vmsplice exploit
a while back on a whole bunch of machines (Fedora or downstreams) that
were going to need a reboot scheduled up to a week in the future.  This
kind of technology would have been really swell to have then.

Lots of reasons to not want to reboot machines - most of the arguments
for supporting laptop suspend would fit.  Some of them may fall into the
"protecting users from themselves" category, but that's not a bad thing
either.

-Bill

http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Cell: 603.252.2606
Twitter, etc.: bill_mcgonigle   Page: 603.442.1833
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/