FESCo meeting summary for 2009-06-26

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 23:22:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Kevin Kofler<kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Seth Vidal wrote:
>> It really wasn't my main argument. My main argument was that we need a
>> default no matter what and that adding 'GNOME' to the label doesn't change
>> anything
>
> If it doesn't change anything, why can't we add it? That argument doesn't
> make sense.
>
>> and adds to the confusion of new users.
>
> How so? I see quite the opposite, i.e. it removes confusion! And
> incidentally, that's also what it'd change (so it changes something).

Either way it is named can and probably will confuse some users. I
don't think this is an important point since people will be confused
either way.

> How is it not confusing to users to have a spin called just "Desktop"?

It doesn't confuse the people who would be confused by adding GNOME to
it when they don't know what GNOME is.

Honestly, all arguments about this or that confusing or misleading
users are not compelling.

I happen to support the following changes.

(1) I prefer the name of the Fedora-11-i686-Live.iso image to be
Fedora-11-i686-Live-GNOME.iso to present consistent and accurate
information about the content of the images in a directory listing.

(2) On the wiki I prefer the "Fedora 11 Desktop Edition" be called the
"Fedora 11 GNOME Desktop Edition" because that again makes for a
consistent presentation and because that is what it is. Listening to a
recent RadioTux broadcast I heard it called the "GNOME Live Spin" by a
prominent community member.

Both of these changes I would also support because I think it is nuts
to deepen a rift in the community over them.

If we continue to only have the GNOME Live image on the get-fedora
page this won't confuse the new users looking for "the desktop" spin
because it will be the only one they see and they will just take it.

So if the community agreed to these two changes, which seem reasonable
to me, then what? Well, I think at this point we hit the real wall in
this debate, but I really don't think we can avoid the subsequent
requests for more equal treatment by refusing to call GNOME GNOME.

John