yum-builddep pulling in i386 packages for x86_64 -devel dependencies

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Sun Mar 8 16:15:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 20:38 -0500, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Friday 06 March 2009 04:44:00 am Bill Crawford wrote:
> > I just noticed an interesting thing with yum-builddep. There's a dependency
> > somewhere on audit-libs-devel, and it's trying to pull in audit-libs.i386
> > instead of .x64_64 ... this then leads to it wanting to download over a
> > dozen other i386 packages. Any way to get around this? Did I do something
> > wrong?
>
> This sounds like something is wrong in the build system. Where a package is
> built on a multi-lib platform, isn't there an explicit "--target x86_64" ? If
> so, rpm has the hint needed to resolve this all successfully. If rpm simply
> chose only packages from the arch that is being built, there wouldn't be a
> problem. Its that simple.

 It's yum, not rpm, and yes ... it contains code so that it often picks
the "right" package when the Requires information just says "I want XYZ"
and we have XYZ.i386 and XYZ.x86_64 but the package will only work with
one of them.
 Saying that if it picks badly then 99% of the time the best fix is
going to be to change the requires so it says "I want XYZ%{_isa}".
 If you think it's easier to make the yum depsolver more magic, than add
7 characters to your specfile, patches are accepted.

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora