Explicit rpm requires

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 16:04:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:13:51 -0500, Rex wrote:

> Matthew D Truch wrote:
>
> > I used to use the following line in my kst-fits subpackage to explicitly
> > require the exact version of cfitsio that kst was built against (as
> > cfitsio does explicit version checking and will refuse to run
> > otherwise).
> >
> > Requires:   cfitsio = %(rpm -q cfitsio --qf %{V})
>
> You've apparently never heard spot's "rpm" talk, which includes something
> like:
> thou shalt not envoke rpm from within a specfile

Generally there's nothing wrong with running "rpm" as quoted above (and it
has been done successfully many years ago), _but_ with the availability of
some chroot build-systems, we need to allow for an incompatible pair of
RPM versions for host-and-guest based installations. Without a guarantee
that the guest-RPM can query the host-RPM database, running "rpm" in a
spec file may break any time.