exactarchpkgs and upgrading to rawhide/f11beta from f9 and f10

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 11 03:56:50 UTC 2009

Yum has a setting called exactarchpkgs. It's a list of pkg names which
should not change arch in any update. Kernels are on there and glibc. This
was established long ago when it was not only possible but in fact it DID
occur that glibc updates didn't go out together and some people managed to
'upgrade' from glibc.i686 to glibc.i586. anyway - that was back in the
mists of time Red hat linux 7.3, I think.

Okay -so fast forward to now:

we're moving from i386->i586 - this is playing a bit of sillybuggers with
some updates.

The fix is to remove glibc from exactarchpkgs (maybe also remove all the
kernels from there, too). However, what I'd like to do is to make the
change in the yum code to remove glibc from the default configuration for
exactarchpkgs and then push that simple 1 line change back to f9 and f10
for a yum update. That way we don't end up with people having no way to
properly upgrade to rawhide.

Anyone think I'm forgetting anything here?

Thanks,
-sv