Please fix your bugs in release instead of rawhide!

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 16:04:17 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 11:52 -0400, Kyle McMartin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 07:46:33AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Actually, from a quick glance, you seem to be right - the search
> > interface looks terrible.
> >
> > I should have been more careful in my mail. I haven't done a careful
> > LP / Bugzilla comparative analysis. It's more just that whenever I look
> > at an issue in LP, I see the things that we're *really* missing in BZ,
> > simply because BZ was never designed as an issue tracker for
> > distributions. I really wanted to look at LP as a model for those
> > things, not suggest that it's perfect as-is.
>
> You're comparing Apples and Oranges... Bugzilla is a bug tracker. Malone
> is a bug tracker. *Launchpad* is a Debian packager workflow tool.
>
> Comparing Launchpad to Bugzilla is silly, comparing it to Koji + Bodhi +
> Bugzilla + FAS + CVS is more fair.

Well, I don't really see it that way. Here's my workflow - I come across
a link to an Ubuntu bug report (at launchpad.net), so I go and look at
it, and I see the stuff I like - right at the top I can see that it
exists in, say, Itchy, Scratchy and Dopey(*), as well as in the upstream
code (and I can immediately see the status of the upstream report). This
is the stuff that there's just no good way to do in Bugzilla. Believe
me, I've thought of about sixteen different ways to try and track the
same bug across multiple distribution releases in Bugzilla, and there
isn't any one which handles it as well as Launchpad does.

Or Malone. Fine, call it Malone if you like. I'm sure you get my point.
There's not much to be gained by being over-nice with the terminology.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey