Please fix your bugs in release instead of rawhide!

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 17:06:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 12:22 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> > Well, I don't really see it that way. Here's my workflow - I come across
> > a link to an Ubuntu bug report (at launchpad.net), so I go and look at
> > it, and I see the stuff I like - right at the top I can see that it
> > exists in, say, Itchy, Scratchy and Dopey(*), as well as in the upstream
> > code (and I can immediately see the status of the upstream report). This
> > is the stuff that there's just no good way to do in Bugzilla. Believe
> > me, I've thought of about sixteen different ways to try and track the
> > same bug across multiple distribution releases in Bugzilla, and there
> > isn't any one which handles it as well as Launchpad does.
>
> So, the longer term plan is to enable workflows like this in the "Fedora
> Community" application (used to be called "MyFedora") with moksha.
>
> /*
> Look at our pretty mockups!
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraCommunity/Mockups
> */
>
> It won't happen in the first iteration (coming soon!), but it is
> something that I think we want to target for the second milestone. We'll
> definitely be looking for feedback on some example workflows that people
> would like to be able to use in Fedora.

Well, fine, if it's an overlay on top of Bugzilla I guess that could
work.

I see nothing in those mockups that would address this, however. In
fact, the bug mockup specifically shows each report as related to a
single release.

The use cases I care about are exactly as I wrote: I need to be able to
look at a bug report and see what releases it expects. We need to be
able to set the status of the bug independently for each release it
affects - it could be WONTFIX for F-9, ASSIGNED for F-10 and FIXED for
Rawhide. We need to be able to associate it with reports in other bug
tracking systems, as LP does, and see the status of these other reports
directly from the Fedora report. And this needs to be searchable (I need
to be able to search for bugs which are NEW in F-10, and get the right
results).

(There's other things talked about in the text accompanying the bug
mockup that I might want to talk to you about, but I'll save that from
messing up this thread :>)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey