Re: InstantMirror Project: Google Summer of Code 2009

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 6:28 AM, Warren Togami <wtogami redhat com> wrote:
https://fedorahosted.org/InstantMirror/

I have wrote down design notes of the new InstantMirror project.  This
project is meant to be fostered in Google Summer of Code 2009, with
multiple Red Hat engineers as mentors, and possibly multiple students
working together as a team. Students are to be judged by their ability
to work with others as a team, their ability to implement the plan, and
their ability to encourage participation from further volunteers
interested in solving these problems.

I could be wrong but wasn't there a similar GSoC project last year ?

Last year was IntelligentMirror, which had misguided goals and ultimately is not very useful.

This design if implemented properly could possibly upgrade all Fedora mirrors and make them operate a lot more efficiently. It would also make it real easy to deploy your own mini-mirror to serve your own local network. For example, at home I personally would use InstantMirror with maybe 30GB of cache allocated, but pre-fetching turned off.

Warren Togami Jr.
warren togami com