InstantMirror Project: Google Summer of Code 2009

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri Mar 13 06:23:57 UTC 2009

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>> I disagree with this assessment. IntelligentMirror has turned into quite an
>> interesting project. It's gone well beyond its original scope as a caching
>> mechanism for packages. There's no point in being rude about it.
>
> Wasn't the orignal idea his as well? I thought he was simply hateful
> of his own idea. Happens to me all the time.

The original InstantMirror was an attempt to make a reverse proxy server
suitable for a yum repository.  I quickly decided that approach was a
dead-end architecturally then got busy on other things.

https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/browser/scripts/proxy-mirror
I ended up making a really simple squid-based solution that works just
fine with standard squid.conf options.  Various folks have been using
this solution for HTTP-only caching mirrors in production for a while
now, mostly for local area network mirrors in branch offices or homes.

The IntelligentMirror guy took that original idea then went off in his
own direction.  He asked me to be involved last year, but I was
disinterested because his web page was confusing, and what I could
figure out I believed to be the wrong direction.  I fail to see how
intelligentmirror's squid redirector plugin is any improvement over
standard squid.conf options.  Something positive came out of this
though, it seems he learned skills and eventually implemented
videocache, which is useful.

https://fedorahosted.org/InstantMirror/wiki/ExistingRepositoryReplicationMethods
Folks have never been fully satisfied with squid HTTP-only reverse
caching proxy.  A full mirror wants real directories that can be served
over multiple protocols or copied.  I have thus been thinking about how
to combine the benefits of the traditional rsync mirror with the
robustness of an on-demand caching mirror.

https://fedorahosted.org/InstantMirror/
The new InstantMirror proposal solves these problems.  Rik van Riel and
I brainstormed these details back on November 26th, 2008, but I haven't
had the time to write it all down until now.  Several students have been
bugging me in the last week to write this up for Google SoC 2009.  Here
it goes.  If we can make this proposal work it will be an awesome step
forward.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com