F10 Fresh Vanilla Install with Updates Has Broken NetworkManager

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed Mar 18 16:40:11 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Tom Lane <tgl at redhat.com> wrote:
> Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> writes:
>> On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 21:45 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Quite; it says my "network credentials have expired",
>
>> That almost sounds like the kerberos auth dialog
>
> Well, yeah, I think what it wants is my Kerberos password.  Not that
> I've tried it; I'm not going to type *any* password into a popup window
> that appears without any clear connection to what I'm doing.  Even
> if this thing had any use to me, I'd refuse to use it because it
> encourages phishing-susceptible habits.

Yes, that sounds like krb5-auth-dialog, which is an independent package from NM.

We would definitely like the UI for it to be better.  If you're
interested in improving the Kerberos experience for the desktop, there
is an active upstream who would likely respond to a bug report.  I
could imagine e.g. having a libnotify popup pointing to the new tray
icon, rather than an out-of-the-blue dialog.  That wouldn't be
significant amounts of work.