ISA IDE no longer supported?

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Mar 20 00:28:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 04:16 -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> So, I pulled out a Toshiba Satellite 325CDS (P233 MMX) laptop for the
> purpose of GPS logging for OpenStreetMap. The idea being I can leave it
> in my car and if anything I feel sorry for the idiot who bothers to
> steal such a fossil. Unfortunately I can't get F10 to install on it. The
> kernel sees no IDE controllers. It seems the "new" libata drivers do not
> work with plain old ISA IDE. Pentium era laptops typically didn't have
> PCI IDE. Another nail in the coffin for i586.

So, I got F10 running. It required:

1) Pull the HD, plug it in to a newer machine via USB bridge
2) Install
3) Force replace the i686 glibc/openssl with i386
4) Install custom built kernel package with old IDE drivers
5) Put HD back in old machine
6) Boot with SystemRescueCD to get grub installed properly, as
installing via USB failed miserably
7) Xorg no workey, the "chips" driver still exists but fails to work and
gives no useful error messages. Since Xorg 1.3 on the SystemRescueCD
works fine, I nuked xorg-* and installed Xorg 1.3 from Fedora 8 instead.
Ta da, working X.
8) Enjoy your unsupported frankenstein monster!

(Step 9, strip the install bare because otherwise it takes 20 minutes to
boot and log in, I'm looking at you Nautilus...)

Config pastebinned because it's too big for the mailing list:

http://pastebin.ca/raw/1365738

I tried to strip out things that a low end i586 is never going to have.
(AGP/DRM, SMP, HPET, firewire, enterprise server hardware, i686
microcode, probably overlooked a lot more because there's just too damn
much to go through...)

Anyone want me to upload the actual packages?